Bitcoin Foundation
Gavin Andresen

New name for Bitcoin-Qt / bitcoind ?

Gavin Andresen    481

There was some discussion about renaming Bitcoin-Qt and the reference implementation in general in IRC today; I thought some of you smart people might have good name ideas.

"Reference implementation" and "original implementation" and "Satoshi's client" are all bad.

I think there are already too many "whateverCoins".

Calling it just "Bitcoin" confuses one particular (but admittedly very important) implementation with the currency/ecosystem.

Any brilliant ideas?

Chris Weber    59

I am far from brilliant..

but thats a nice idea, I think it has to express something like e.g.

- technological evolution

- networking

- agreement

- work

as often nouns are nice expressions for a project, perhaps there are myths in ancient japan (because satoshi chose to be jp) that names can express a degree of humility

for example the isle Onogoro is the first land that came to existence (japanese myth) as drop from a lance.

Also foreign / less spoken languages are good for finding something unknown not injuring some copyright or already used names.

or we can try out anagrams as developers seem to like :D

what do you think/feel about the client?

• Upvote 1

David Sterry    11

I always liked naming projects after places. Maybe that's better for alpha-stage or planning type projects but still you could play off the largest gold mines for example: Grasberg, Muruntau, Veladero, or Lagunas. Vela sounds nice.

I would also spend a little time searching for the potential name and prioritize away from things that are already popular but the hardest part for a global piece of software like this is the cultural meaning. Parts of words bring up lots of different images and connotations for speakers of other languages.

Gary Rowe    33

Ordinary people like simple concepts with simple names. At present Bitcoin-Qt fulfils a similar role to Bitcoin that a browser does for HTTP - it makes it easier to use the protocol to achieve their objective. To the lay person Bitcoin-Qt is a weird construct and Qt is just a shorthand way of saying "quiet". It's too techie.

To that end maybe we should look at how browser developers have solved this branding problem (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_web_browsers).

Picking out a few brands and their associated common names we get:

Internet Explorer -> IE (or "noooooo!" ;-) )

Google Chrome -> Chrome

Mozilla Firefox -> Firefox

Opera -> Opera

Safari -> Safari

Mosaic Netscape / Netscape Navigator -> Mosaic / Netscape

All the common names are single words. None, except IE, have any reference to the Internet, and none have anything about HTTP - the primary protocol. So my suggestion is that we come up with a single word snappy name that has nothing "Bitcoiney" about it.

Here are some suggestions:

Nakamoto

Just that single word. People in the know will recognise the originator, but people new to the currency will just think "Hmm some Japanese sounding name". This is not about bestowing honour upon the original developer (that has been done in the unit of currency) but rather finding a name that will resonate with what it does without stating it.

Stronghold

Implies that people are in charge of their own money and that this is a safe place to look after it.

Sarafu

From "coin" in Swahili - brings a touch of Unbuntu's "Humanity" with it

Any thoughts?

• Upvote 6

Gavin Andresen    481

Bitcoin Core makes me think of this really bad movie:

MV5BMTY3MTY3MzkzNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTAwNDk2._V1_SY317_CR6,0,214,317_.jpg

... but it is definitely better than "Bitcoin-Qt / bitcoind".

It is the first implementation, so maybe something else that makes you think "start" or "origin"

Genesis (we could get Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel to do a theme song...)

Gen <-- I kinda like this one

What do other people think of the more abstract names?

• Upvote 2

Paul Sproge    59

I really like Nakamoto. Satoshi for the elemental piece of the financial side, and nakamoto for the technical?

I was going to suggest Client0.

• Upvote 1

hummm, it certainly needs a name change... I would think something:

• unique
  • phonetic
  • short
  • global appeal
  • equal number of vowels and consonants
  • non ambiguous/vulgar across language
  • well vetted

just a thought

"Nakamoto" doesnt really work for me. Neither does Safaru or any other random name. I think the name should still imply it is kind of the "first, original, official, reference, main"-thingie.

unfortunately, i am having trouble coming up with anything serious. Satoshi Nakamoto Original Bitcoin (Client) aka Snob doesnt really work, does it? ;)

Pioneer maybe, but it sounds a little bit like using it might be an adventure in itself. Plus there are likely a million things called pioneer.

Some inspiration from latin :

Nova (which means new) and is also used in "supernova", which is a nice representation of a powerful state shift in the universe.

Origo (which means origin), short, easy to remember and funny.

Though I think we can do better.

In science, there is the "chain reactions" concept that might provide some inspiraton

There might also be good ideas around the butterfly effect. I now understand why ButterflyLabs call themself ButterflyLabs.

And any word around init, trigger, shift, switch..

Picking out a few brands and their associated common names we get:

Internet Explorer -> IE (or "noooooo!" ;-) )

Google Chrome -> Chrome

Mozilla Firefox -> Firefox

Opera -> Opera

Safari -> Safari

Mosaic Netscape / Netscape Navigator -> Mosaic / Netscape

Note with the exception of the one we all love to hate. They are all heavy on vowels. The general public is crazy for vowels. They are a common thread across languages. Even babies master vowels.

"Buy a vowel" just throw it in there randomly!

• Upvote 1

Mercury

Mercury is the Roman god of communication, commerce, and capitalism (as well as many other things quintessentially Bitcoin). Additionally, I doubt any Bitcoin to local currency exchange rates will be anything other than mercurial (volatile) over the next 10 years.

• Upvote 1

Mike Hearn    459

Huh, I'm not sure we should try and come up with a cute brand for it. Whilst I agree just calling the software "Bitcoin" is overloading an already overloaded name, calling it something weird or cute would just replace the confusion of "wtf is qt" with "wtf is gen" or "wtf is Nakamoto".

I think it should be at least "Bitcoin Something" where "something" is at least a recognizable English word that connotates importance, centrality, hub-ness, etc.

• Upvote 2

Samuel Lay    14

Definitely agree that it needs to be a single word or at least shorten into one that is still identifiable on its own.

If you have a look at BitTorrent clients, most have 'Bit' or "Torrent" somewhere in the name. Bitcomet, uTorrent etc.

Adding to some of the suggestions thus far:

BitCore

CoreBit

BitNova

NovaBit

etc

Unfortunately, both parts of Bitcoin are ambiguous when separated (especially "coin") unlike "Torrent" which is readily recognised.

• Upvote 1