Bitcoin Foundation
Lindsay Holland

Individual Candidate: Joerg Platzer

Please use this thread to communicate with and about this candidate.

Candidate name: Joerg Platzer

Forum handle: n/a

Running for: Individual Seat

Statement of Qualifications:

20 years in strategic corporate communications, interactive branding and information architecture.

cecg.biz / Room77 / BitcoinKiez / Crypto-Charity

• Upvote 5

Guest Patrick Alexander   
Guest Patrick Alexander

Greetings Joerg! I had several questions to ask each candidate, but I think I will pare down the lengthy list to just this one which will be asked of all the current candidates. Here it is, and good luck in the election!

Are you aware of the following phrase and what does it mean to you personally?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

• Upvote 2

Adam B Levine    101

Hi Joerg,

I'm producing the candidate debate for the individual seat, and I need to get you scheduled for an interview between now and Tuesday. Please contact me ASAP at [email protected] to get on the schedule. You do not need to participate in the debate if you'd prefer not to.

You can view more information and the questions here

https://bitcoinfoundation.org/forum/index.php?/topic/359-individual-boardmember-debate-on-lets-talk-bitcoin-submit-questions/

• Upvote 2

Greetings Joerg! ....

Are you aware of the following phrase and what does it mean to you personally?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

Greetings back Patrick!

Funny you ask this question, somehow. But maybe not :).

Satoshi's message in the genesis block, quoting the Times, to me does not only serve as a timestamp for the timestamping system he developed.

Of course it is easy to interpret that day's headline of his choice as a hint that the intention of his invention was to overcome the destructive influence banks and central banks have on our society. Let me quote from a blog on the New Yorker to support this interpretation:

snip --->

A casual review of Nakamoto’s various blog posts and bulletin-board comments also confirms that, from the first, Bitcoin was devised as a system for removing the possibility of corruption from the issuance and exchange of currency. Or, to put it another way: rather than trusting in governments, central banks, or other third-party institutions to secure the value of the currency and guarantee transactions, Bitcoin would place its trust in mathematics. At the P2P Foundation, Nakamoto wrote a blog post describing the difference between bitcoin and fiat currency:

[bitcoin is] completely decentralized, with no central server or trusted parties, because everything is based on crypto proof instead of trust. The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that’s required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust. Banks must be trusted to hold our money and transfer it electronically, but they lend it out in waves of credit bubbles with barely a fraction in reserve. We have to trust them with our privacy, trust them not to let identity thieves drain our accounts… With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless.

<---snap [http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/elements/2013/04/the-future-of-bitcoin.html]

That is what it means to me personally.

But in the end it does not matter what Satoshi's intentions were or how we interpret his message.

The technology is there now, it has the potential to do exactly that and it will do exactly that.

And that's why I have decided to take part in these elections and therefor jumped onto this forum tonight and will introduce myself to the foundation-community and elaborate here in the next 2-3 days on some of the issues I would like to see prioritised by the foundation.

To Blockchain Eternity! (that is the toast we use here in Berlin when Bitcoiners meet and socialize ;)).

++jp

• Upvote 3

Who am I?

My name is Joerg Platzer, I am 46 years old and I live in Berlin, Germany.

In early 2011 I co-founded the Crypto Economics Consulting Group, which aims to smooth our society's transition to a crypto economy and to roll out Bitcoin in the real world. I also operate ROOM77, a bar and restaurant in Berlin's Kreuzberg district, which is said to be the first bricks-and-mortar business in the world to accept Bitcoin and which is nowadays a meeting point for Bitcoiners, Cypherpunks and Cryptonerds from all over Europe and even the world.

I have an education in industrial business management. I freelanced for about twenty years as a high-level consultant in strategic corporate communications and interactive branding and as an information architect and ran several businesses for the time they made sense. During those years I also spent most of my spare time on hacktivism and civil rights projects.

I have spent the last two years of my life promoting Bitcoin.

• Upvote 4

Why am I doing this?

I accepted the nomination for the Bitcoin Foundation Board of Directors because I believe

that we need someone in this position who is dedicated to bringing Bitcoin to the people, not to banks and governments.

That we need someone there who does this job because his heart beats for the rise of a crypto economic society, not someone who does it to promote and secure his business, who wants to make a carreer in Washington or who sees Bitcoin as a perfect vehicle to his own personal success.

That we need someone who has the visionary freedom and capacity to see that there is so much more to the birth of this technology than a cool new payment system.

That we need someone who's intention is to make the Bitcoin economy more resiliant against cooption by banks and regulators instead of cozying up to them.

The latter outnumber the former by far right now, be it on the board of directors or amongst the nominees for the new seats.

If you want to change that I am your guy.

In case you want to find out more about my spirit and motivations please check:

http://videos.arte.tv/de/videos/eine-internet-waehrung-aus-algorithmen--6988468.html

(on the evening news in German and French, about a year ago)

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/apr/26/bitcoins-gain-currency-in-berlin

(in English, in case you want to watch it again ;))

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/can-germany-really-tax-bitcoin

(one of the latest interviews I gave)

http://www.cecg.biz

• Upvote 3

As stated before, I would like to elaborate on some of my priorities for the foundation in the upcomming days so you know who you're dealing with here. I'll start with:

Internationalisation

> If the eye of Sauron is upon you GTFO of Mordor!

The foundation is based in and under the jurisdiction of the US of A. The USA is an absurdly overregulated economy with a regime that is trying to abolish privacy in all aspects of people's lives and thus the most hostile environment for Bitcoin on this planet. The fact that the majority of the current members of the foundation board runs rather big businesses that are dependend on the goodwill of that regime does not really make things better.

It is a no-brainer to demand the foundation being internationalised and based in a more freedom-affine country that embraces innovation instead of trying to keep the status quo by all means. We should promote the creation of several independant foundations, associations, societies or organisations, be they defined geographically or focussed on certain aspects of crypto economics or certain goals of their members.

Any satoshi spent on 'lobbying for Bitcoin in Washington' is an irresponsible waste of money donated by members of the Bitcoin community in good faith. And it will take us exactly nowhere.

Comments and questions are welcome.

Next on this programme: General Public Relations

• Upvote 6

Welcome back to this channel, here is another issue that I would like to see on the top the foundations's agenda:

(General) Public Relations

> p2p means human to human here so there are a few more billions of us to get on board.

I believe that bringing Bitcoin to the general public, providing knowledge (in regards to it's technical use and potential impact on society) and infrastructure and giving people possibilities to experience Bitcoin first hand should be a highly prioritised issue for the foundation while right now it is not even on the foundation's agenda.

The sooner more ordinary people understand and adopt Bitcoin the more stable and resiliant the Bitcoin ecosystem will be. With 'ordinary people' I mean anyone who is not a hacker, cypherpunk, cryptonerd or financial expert. I mean my mom and yours. Only when they understand that Bitcoin is neither a fascinating tool for hackers (as it used to be) nor the new toy of the failed financial aristocracy (as many now want it to become) but a tool that can improve the public good and help us create a more just and equal society, crypto economics will replace the legacy financial system. Which it can and which it will do in the long run.

My personal efforts (all pro bono) in this direction so far have been

the creation of what is now called the 'Bitcoinkiez' in Berlin / Germany in order to allow retailers, gastronomers and consumers to make their own first-hand user experiences with Bitcoin and create a local economic cycle based on Bitcoin.

The promotion and organisation of the crypto charity project to bring Bitcoin to Uganda and deliver yet another example to the public, raising understanding for how the possibility of unrestricted person to person transactions around the world can change that world.

Running 'banking without banks'-workshops for businesses, charity organisations and individuals as well as organizing CECG's 'enabler team', which actively approaches and visits interested businesses to help them set up their Bitcoin infrastructure and teach them how to use the new currency securely.

Last but not least I have been running the most successful concerted PR-campaign for Bitcoin so far. Media were only talking about crime when reporting about Bitcoin until the day we started giving them pictures and contents so they could portray Bitcoin as something with which everybody can pay their dinner electronically without going through the banking system.

I have created more positive media attention for Bitcoin than anyone else including the foundation itself. We are approaching 100 million media contacts worldwide, currently creating between two and five publications a week somewhere in the world.

Too much bragging about myself for my taste but I cannot describe what I mean any other way. Next on this programme: probably 'freeom of transaction'.

• Upvote 3

Freedom of Transaction

> The trigger to a new economic singularity

Freedom of transaction should actually be listed amongst other basic human rights just like freedom of opinion and freedom of speech. It is not, for the trivial reason that there was never a need to demand it because we simply always had freedom of transaction in our cash-based past.

We are watching a moment in history, where transaction all of a sudden becomes global, instantanious and anonymous from human to human.

Money though is only quantifiable human energy and every transaction is the flow of that energy or value. That means that we are entering an age in which the untraceable free flow of human energy in split seconds around the globe becomes a reality.

This very possibility will change the way we interact, make contracts, conduct business and carry out transactions beyond anything we can now imagine or for which we even have words now. The boost of economic growth and wealth for everybody involved cannot even be envisioned now, we can merely estimate that it will have an impact similar to that of the neolithic or industrial revolutions.

Now even though there are entities in our society that derive their power from controlling, channeling, taxing and permitting or not permitting this monetary flow: these days are over with the advent of crypto currency.

Let's promote and foster this new reality of the free flow of human energy for the benefit of all of us!

Next on this show: The Absurdity of Regulating Cryptocurrency (Yes! There's the beef!)

• Upvote 4

I just wanted to pop in here to add in a good word for Joerg. His leadership in single-handedly bootstrapping the world's first local bitcoin economy here in Berlin make him the obvious Board candidate to help steer the Foundation in the right direction--hopefully helping to replicate bitcoin's success in Berlin also in a multitude of other locales around the world.

Right now pretty much every time we have a bitcoin gathering (organized and hosted by Joerg) here in Berlin, we have local and international journalists and film crews attending. The amount of ongoing media buzz Room 77 and the other bitcoin businesses and gatherings here are generating is just ridiculous and is a testament to the PR genius of the tireless dynamo named Joerg Platzer.

It is no exaggeration to say that Berlin would hardly even be on the bitcoin world map (any more than other nearby capitals such as Prague or Bratislava) without Joerg. Thanks to his efforts over the last three years, we are not only on the map but have become internationally known as the "Bitcoin Mecca", the go-to place to see bitcoin in action at its current full potential. At the regular gatherings, we have visitors from all over the world who've come here to experience the Berlin miracle firsthand. At the August monthly meeting three weeks ago, we had visitors from at least Texas, Colorado, New Hampshire, Slovakia, Austria, Spain, and Russia. Those were just the ones I happened to chat with. A number of people from at least Vienna and Bratislava regularly commute here (6+ hours on the bus or train) for these gatherings. Again, it seems doubtful that much of this would be the case without Joerg, the guy who made it all happen.

Joerg has my vote, and you ought to consider giving him yours, too. With Jon Matonis and Joerg Platzer in leadership positions at the Foundation, the future will look so bright that I'll have to put on my shades!

• Upvote 2

Dan Plante    147

Joerg, I finished listening to your interview on Bitcointalk. This caused me to review your candidacy thread here. I think I understand, and I approve. I will be saying the same thing on Trace Mayer's thread in a few minutes. Have you talked back-channel with Trace and Ben Davenport? I would if I were you. Also, I would probably eschew candidacy for the Foundation board seat at this point if I was running. The whole affair looks compromised to my eye. Predictable I suppose.

• Upvote 3

Also, I would probably eschew candidacy for the Foundation board seat at this point if I was running. The whole affair looks compromised to my eye. Predictable I suppose.

Dan, would you mind elaborating on this? I wasn't a big fan of the Foundation for the longest time, but after Jon Matonis took over as Executive Director, things look much better and I finally joined up as a member. I don't know about the others on the Board, but Jon and Joerg at least have the integrity and moral fiber to ensure the Foundation doesn't become just another tool of the state.

• Upvote 1

I'm in for the economic singularity, but it's gotta be managed properly. That includes resisting influences which would corrupt the process toward dark ends, whether those influences be well-intentioned or not. Besides his other undeniable qualifications for the Foundation board seat, I know Joerg personally as someone who aims for the brightest possible future, and he does this as a zero-bullsh*t guy with very positive values that he takes seriously.

Joerg's actions speak for how he honors individual people. I've seen him skip "let's-get-rich" meetings in order to comfort friends who are having a bad day. The way he treats his employees is exemplary. Here's a guy who will never let an institution get in the way of human beings, and who actually goes out and creates ones to help them.

Joerg has my vote, and my unreserved support.

• Upvote 2

Joerg, there is a good question for you over on the Bitcointalk.org forum thread:

I'm wondering if Joerg's talents may not be wasted there. Bitcoin Foundation's current goals seem to be pretty focused on marching right into Mordor and keeping Sauron's armies from stomping all over everything. I'm almost wondering if there shouldn't just be other foundations in other countries that focus on local issues and developers, since there are definitely a ton of localized issues and a ton of talented developers around Europe (our best Android wallets and wallet hardware seem to come from there :)). I'd say decentralize the foundations to keep them from being too vulnerable to any single country or group's infighting, while allowing the separate groups to focus specifically on their local strengths and issues,. And I'd say US's obsession with wanting to regulate everything new is quite a massive issue for the established foundation to fight. For example, with their focus on Washington, I haven't heard the foundation mention anything about the customs issues that have been plaguing the ASIC businesses in China, or the banking issues around UK that have made buying or selling bitcoins a major pain there.

But yes I'll probably vote for him. And would definitely support him should he decide to start his own organization in Germany.

I know that you thought long and hard about whether you ought to accept the Board nomination or not. Perhaps you could elaborate a little (both here and there) on why you did accept it in the end?

The absurdity of trying to regulate Bitcoin

> Imagine Gutenberg going to Rome to lobby for the printing press with the Pope!

There is an obvious divide going right through the Bitcoin community, more like a canyon than like a gap: for and against trying to get regulation and compliance of Bitcoin.

I am clearly taking a side on this issue: lobbying for Bitcoin and trying to implement it into the regulatory framework of the legacy financial system is an absurd, unreasonable and irresponsible waste of resources.

I would like to lift this discussion away from Bitcoin to the level of crypto-currency altogether. It is possible, even though now hardly imaginable, that Bitcoin could be co-opted on a political level and turned into something controllable. That is what the people on the regulatory side will ultimatively want and it means the implementation of transaction-reversibility, black- or whitelisting and KYC and AML on every level, even for human to human transactions. The regulators will not stop at getting the exchanges regulated (which is fine by the way as long as people can choose not to use them). Regulators and governments do not stop at half way or at 99% control, they want 100% control, always. 'A little regulated' is as much possible as 'a little pregnant'. Everybody who stands for 'compromising with the government' sounds like a dreamer to me as I have never seen a government 'compromise' with its subjects.

But even in the unlikely event of Bitcoin being turned into Paypal 2.0 that would not stop but merely delay the rise of crypto-currency as the next, more resilient one is waiting just around the corner. Even if the pope would have gained control over Gutenberg's first printing press and turned it into a machine that can only print bibles in latin the next free printing press would have been built the next day by someone else.

The printing press and crypto-currency both are the kind of invention that change things forever. The first took away the church's monopoly on the contents of books and the second took away the government's monopoly on the creation of money. This kind of thing cannot be turned back, the technology is out and will never be collectively forgotten again.

Therefore and beyond all unnecessary and highly ideological arguments: you cannot regulate the unregulatable so let's stop waisting energy on this absurd undertaking please.

We can merely try to inform and educate governments and people about the changes coming up in order to help smooth the transition from our world to the rising crypto economy so that this transition will be as painless and with as few victims and as little collateral damage as possible.

I think a pretty good question to Joerg is not "What can you bring to the Foundation," but "How will the Foundation benefit you?" You seem to have some specific views and goals, some of which may even be at odds with those of the Foundation, and which I have no doubt you will continue to pursue relentlessly. How would becoming a member make reaching your goals easier?