7 replies to this topic

#1 Lindsay Holland

Lindsay Holland

Assistant Director

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:54 PM

Please use this thread to communicate with and about this candidate.

Candidate name: Aaron Lasher
Forum handle: chalash (Reddit)
Running for: Individual Seat

Statement of Qualifications:

Aaron runs the Bitcoin Blog "Real Virtual Currency" and has been a Bitcoin speculator for over 2 years.  An intrepid adventurer, Aaron has visited over 70 countries, including some of the least free such as Eritrea, Yemen, and Sudan.  These travels inform his radical libertarian philosophy: that it is morally wrong to do harm to others.  A successful non-profit entrepreneur and businessman, Aaron distrusts regulators almost completely, and will do everything in his power to protect the Bitcoin community.

#2 Patrick Alexander

Patrick Alexander

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:46 PM

Hi Aaron!  I had several questions to ask each candidate, but I think I will pare down the lengthy list to just this one which will be asked of all the current candidates.  Here it is, and good luck in the election!

Are you aware of the following phrase and what does it mean to you personally?
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

#3 Aaron Lasher

Aaron Lasher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:11 PM

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your question.

The phrase you quoted is a version of a message that has been repeated many times throughout history following overzealous credit expansions. It is also famous for being seeded into the Blockchain by the ineffable Satoshi.

Personally, it reminds me that there are three types of people in this world:

1) Those who do not understand the modern monetary system
2) Those who understand the system, and look upon it favorably
3) Those who understand the system, and look upon it negatively

I believe there is a lot of evidence to support the idea that the world is undergoing a philosophical transition from the first two groups into the third, and that as banking crises get worse, people will be forced to reconsider their positions on central banking and fiat currencies.

As such, we have to fight a battle on two fronts. First, we must educate people on the fundamental systemic nature of central banking. And second, we must persuade proponents of the current system that moral hazard can be effectively mitigated through market forces.

#4 Adam B Levine

Adam B Levine

Editor-in-Chief of Let's Talk Bitcoin!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationNapa, California

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:34 PM

Hi Aaron,
Thanks for scheduling early for the Debate - Looking forward to our conversation!

#5 Aaron Lasher

Aaron Lasher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:55 PM

My pleasure, Adam. It was nice speaking with you today. Looking forward to watching the full debates!

#6 Aaron Lasher

Aaron Lasher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:56 PM

Taking Ryan Deming's lead, I also thought it would be beneficial to publish my answers to Mihai. While I don't expect a lot of support in the election, I do think it is important for me to make one point: Regulation of Bitcoin is inherently malevolent. Don't be persuaded otherwise. IT'S A TRAP!!! No matter how nicely that Bitcoin and regulators play along in the beginning, ultimately, the two will come to blows.

• What would you do as a board member if it became illegal for U.S. citizens to develop/export core bitcoin protocol software (as was the case previously with encryption products like PGP and Hush that violated the munitions export regulations)? I believe this will come to pass. And the important factor is not what to do after it happens, but what to do beforehand. The Bitcoin community needs a wake-up call on this issue. In my opinion, the only thing that the Bitcoin Foundation can do is to embolden Bitcoin users to ignore such ridiculous legislation, and carry on bravely and notoriously.
  • How can other jurisdictions (non-US) take steps to attract more bitcoin exchange volume and increase their % of global market share? The first country to openly welcome Bitcoin will be the next Lichtenstein. The message to send is simple: "Bitcoin is welcome here. Bitcoin business is welcome here. We pledge to maintain an environment where Bitcoin can flourish unhampered."
  • How does United States differ from Germany in attracting and cultivating new bitcoin businesses? Most Bitcoin users are in the US. But FinCEN is creating uncertainty and subtle hostility towards virtual currencies. I don't believe that Germany is any different, precisely because German Bitcoin users are a minority (no disrespect meant to the Kreuzberg community). In time, Germany, too, will crack down as hard as it can. Germany for all practical purposes controls the EU Central Bank, and as such has a vested interest in the continuation of the Euro. In short: No difference.
  • Do you think that the foundation should be complicit in crafting legislation/regulatory guidelines when it comes to bitcoin and the Bitcoin network? No.
  • If bitcoin were banned in certain jurisdictions, would you advocate that consumers and merchants stop transacting in bitcoin? I would advocate the opposite: for people to put on their big boy pants and make decisions for themselves as adults.

#7 Chris Smelick

Chris Smelick

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:32 AM

Thank you for being the only explicitly non-statist anti-regulatory candidate that I could discern skimming the bios. I am passing your info on to everyone.

Cheers

#8 Aaron Lasher

Aaron Lasher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:02 AM

Thanks for the supportive words, Chris. I do take a pretty hard line with the regulation, and I know that there are others in the community who feel the same way. Even if we can't win a board seat on that platform, I think it's really important to make sure that perspective is part of the debate. I carefully chose the word "radical" in my introduction to make sure the candidate pool's ideals didn't get watered down too much by election politics. Regardless of the results, I'm going to keep pushing/supporting the Bitcoin Foundation on this single issue of financial regulation.

Of course in my heart, I'm just incredibly pro-Bitcoin. My anti-regulation fervor is only exceeded by my bottomless enthusiasm for an international currency that can liberate the world.