Bitcoin Foundation
Sign in to follow this  
Colin Gallagher

Leaving the Foundation

Hello,

This is the only place available to post in on the forum for me, so that is why this is here. Please leave it here for the record.

I am discontinuing my association with the Foundation as of today. Please refer to my past articles in the forum for my statements on different issues. Please support the Foundation's effort to help Theo Chino's case against the NY bitlicense. The Foundation should be commended for this stance against bitlicense in NY, and the battle against bitlicense should be a global one, waged both with legal advocacy and with technological privacy improvements.

The Foundation has opted to discontinue the mandate for an Education Committee recently. A huge challenge for advocates of decentralized systems today is the growing apathy and lack of involvement by new entrants into bitcoin and similar systems. This challenge will continue, as many participants in bitcoin today do not seriously explore how they could more fully contribute, whether in terms of running a full node, helping review or write code for the bitcoin repository, or by advocating against bitlicense in various states and countries where it is introduced (and advocating for or participating in self regulatory organizations and efforts). More people should engage in such efforts and advocacy. The CryptoCurrency Security Standard or CCSS is a great effort and people should support that and ideas like it, and other self-regulatory concepts and approaches. We should also advocate for approaches such as that in Slovenia, where as of 2018, bitcoin is not discriminated against and is treated properly for the most part. Look up "Legality of bitcoin by country or territory," Slovenia's approach is reasonable in stating bitcoin is neither a currency or asset. Which is correct. Even better would be if they discontinued taxes in Slovenia on mining. But generally Slovenia got it right with the above approach.

I continue working constantly with bitcoin professionally and also as a hobby (via my voluntary microdonations project). For those similarly involved, please continue your efforts to help future generations.

Ok, that's all. Cheers all, ciao.