Bitcoin Foundation
Brian Goss

Problems Voting? Post your difficulty here

Brian Goss    554

Voters,

You should have gotten an email with voting instructions. Check your spam folder (apparently one can't send a few hundred emails in a few seconds without tripping a spam filter!). Following the instructions should be straightforward and simple.

I want to know (publicly) if anyone is having trouble voting. It is best to keep a public list of all possible voting irregularities so at the very least the potential impact of these problems can be measured.

Please post in this thread of you are having difficulty with voting.

Also, please note that the following rules apply. If your problem voting is attributable to one of these rules, please cite which rule in your post below:

Bruce Fenton    110

I was not aware of the requirement to "activate" the account. I'm active in the forums and a candidate so definitely would do everything possible to make sure I could vote.

From what I am hearing, many people were not aware of this.

Whoever wins should work with the other board members and leadership to try to prevent this type of thing in the future.

John Wnuk    70

My voting froze at 0% encryption. Replied to the voting system as instructed.

Edit on 2/14: First attempt to vote was on an iPad, and that did not work. Per Brian's suggestion, I used my PC to try voting again and that worked fine. Thanks much Brian.

Edited by John Wnuk

Brian Goss    554

My voting froze at 0% encryption. Replied to the voting system as instructed.

You can cast your ballot as many times as you'd like. Just try agin with another browser (preferably not a mobile phone).

• Upvote 1

Brian Goss    554

I've been a member since 2013 and I confirmed myself many days ago. I've received no e-mail.

Your github? link points to a 404 error.

[redacted at user request], we have discussed your particular circumstances at length by PM. Are you satisfied with the reason why your account was not sent a ballot? I have encouraged you many times to bring this out into the open in a manner that respects your privacy. I believe the right decision was made and I'm happy to discuss it with discretion openly.

That said, I'm categorizing this irregularity as "functioning as intended" for now.

Thanks Brian for opening this thread.

I did click to confirm my email on February 6th, to end up on an empty blue screen on the Foundation's website. I tried many times without knowing if the confirmation was completed, so I emailed [email protected] but got no answer as of now.

It now appears my account was never confirmed, as I haven't received my ballot yet.

Brian Goss    554

Saivann,

I don't see your name on the list (although if you spelled it differently I would miss it).

Check your spam folder, just in case, but I'm going to go ahead and categorize this case as "apparent failure," meaning the workflow that was supposed to capture you as an active member failed to do so. If you find your ballot, let me know and I'll file under "spam."

(And by the way, I'm a huge fan of the good work you do with bitcoin.org. I want people to know of your contributions to our community and I know you never toot your own horn! You have my respect and appreciation.)

Brian,

(Please let me know at any time if you prefer PM to not fill the forum with my specific case).

Maybe you can find me using my email ([email protected]). It is a possibility that I could have deleted an email by mistake, but I am usually careful and always check my spams before deleting them, so I'd say this is unlikely, and I haven't received my ballot anywhere at this time. This looks like a (perhaps not widespread) technical issue to me. For the record, I also had to reset my password the same day as I clicked to confirm my vote. In any case, the procedure was clear and simple to me, it just seems like there was a glitch somewhere.

Brian Goss    554

I was not aware of the requirement to "activate" the account. I'm active in the forums and a candidate so definitely would do everything possible to make sure I could vote.

From what I am hearing, many people were not aware of this.

Whoever wins should work with the other board members and leadership to try to prevent this type of thing in the future.

Bruce,

Thank you for getting the discussion going.

I'm going to file this under "communication disorder." This category will include the entire spectrum of problems that all include a member having been sent notification of an action required and the desired outcome of converting those members to active members not being achieved.

That label is carefully crafted to avoid dichotomous and less than helpful labels that place blame on one party or another. The point is that a message was transmitted and the desired result was not obtained. That's a problem no matter whose "fault" it is because it has the same effect of screwing up the measurement of voter preference.

Brian Goss    554

I did not realize that I needed to activate. Been a member since 2012. I have activated my account today. Can I please vote? No ballot received yet.

Hi Chris,

I hope you understand the purpose of this thread. I'm not handing out ballots here. I'm estimating the error of the vote by documenting the number of failures of the entire workflow. If the error bars are large enough, then obviously the measurement of voter preference via the election is much less likely to reflect the true voter preference.

Just like a surgeon doesn't care how the bullet got there, he just takes it out, I don't care who is to "blame." We have a confirmation step in our voting work flow that is necessary due to incompatible quorum requirements and apathy rate....separating apathy from failure of the process to get people who want to vote confirmed as active voters is tricky but do-able.

My impression was that there was some process failure, not apathy on your part. I'm filing this under "communication disorder" accordingly.

Brian Goss    554

Tim -- that's the point of this thread. A small number of irregularities almost certainly will be irrelevant to the outcome of the election. A large number will almost certainly be relevant. We need to count them up and categorize them..._right now_ your case is categorized as "functioning as intended" given account information that you and I both know is justifiably at very high suspicion for sock puppetry.

Sam Johnston    33

I got the email on my gmail account stating I need to register as well as a few other emails from candidates and so on.

IMHO, people claiming they didn't receive foundation emails should state which provider they use and these providers should be blacklisted.

• Upvote 1

Brian Goss    554

For the last four posts, looks to me like:

2 "communication disorder" (Sam is saying he did not have a problem)

1 "apparent failure"

Please note: I'm lumping a lot cases into "communication disorder," even "failure to read email"; the active member confirmation step was designed to exclude members who are not active to make it possible for the foundation members to elect someone...

I only learned that I couldn't vote when I saw the topic Bruce posted on Reddit. And the top voted comment was one that seemed to indicate that many other people thought that this "need to activate" rule was hard to know about in advance.

For what it's worth, I am an active Bitcoin Foundation member that was closely following the elections (in terms of hearing the arguments from various candidates and following their campaigns) and really wanted to vote. It just never occurred to me that there was a pre-voting step, and so I didn't bother to check. I realize that I probably should have been reading the newsletters more closely... but my main point here is that it is possible for someone to be very interested in the elections without assuming that reading the Bitcoin Foundation newsletters in advance was an important part of that process.

• Upvote 2