10 replies to this topic

#1 Sebastian Lobato Genco

Sebastian Lobato Genco

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:32 PM

After half a year slowly working on this project I have a working version of the website LearnToUseBitcoin

Basically, the idea is to provide a very simple website that anybody with no prior knowledge of Bitcoin can understand and learn by actually playing with Bitcoin and the basic concepts, instead of receiving information passively.

Here is the website and I would appreciate if you can give it a try and provide feedback on the things you found difficult, specially if you show it to someone that has never used bitcoin. Each person that tries has different difficulties following the information or finding the right button to push and that's the key part of this experience, make it accessible to anybody.

www.LearnToUseBitcoin.com

The next goal is to also provide some bitcoins for free to start using a real wallet with no fear, unfortunately, for that I need to invest more time on the technical side and invest funds to provision the wallets (transaction fees for very low amounts are still killing this part of the project).
Nevertheless, even without the free bitcoins I believe the page can be useful to Bitcoin newcomers in its current state.

The project details are explained in this post:
https://bitcoinfound...rience-project/

To contribute to the translation to different languages use: https://crowdin.net/...-bitcoin/invite

Thanks!

#2 Mike Hayes

Mike Hayes

Zardoz

• Former Member
  • Pip
  • 779 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:50 PM

I like it.   It's much harder to write a simple explanation, understandable to many people of differing ages and education, than to write a technical explanation.  And the simple explanation is what you have done.

#3 Cesar Gonzalez

Cesar Gonzalez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationBrisbane - Australia

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:38 PM

Hey Sebas nice mate.

I liked the address definition

Like a transparent vault, the coins can only be moved by thekey owner but the world can see what is inside

#4 Sebastian Lobato Genco

Sebastian Lobato Genco

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:17 AM

Thanks guys, I'm very happy that you found it useful.

I have left mining out of the first explanations on purpose because I think it adds little value and over-complicates things for a newcomer, I'll add it as a section you have to dig in (with some clicks) to get into, so only people really interested in following the rabbit hole are confronted with it.

I'm interested now in parts of the explanation and the flow a newcomer does not understand and secondly in parts of the Bitcoin puzzle a newcomer does not understand to get the picture of how Bitcoin works.

#5 Sandy Ressler

Sandy Ressler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationNorth Potomac, Maryland

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:17 PM

Hi Sebas...that's a pretty cool site! It actually seemed to work just fine (always a shock ;-)
I'm also very interested in the aspect of explaining bitcoin to newbies...I have a blog www.bitcoininplainenglish.com where I attempt to explain lots of stuff in somewhat simple terms (sometimes not so simple) ...anyway feel free to take any of the content there (please credit me and link to the site somewhere if you do) ... and good luck!
Sandy

#6 Sebastian Lobato Genco

Sebastian Lobato Genco

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:07 AM

Thanks Sandy, I agree, sometimes it's a surprise that things work ;)

I'll take a deep look at your blog later, thanks for sharing, I already like the short/long optional answers, my suggestion would be to add images, I'm an extremely visual person so it helps me relate a lot with content when I read something, it sticks to my memory longer if I attach in my head an image to the text.

By the way, I just added a small part on mining, it's not finished, but I want to debunk the myth that Bitcoin mining is like gold mining because I really think the process is much more like a lottery (I got this from Adam B. Levine)

#7 Jesse Lohse

Jesse Lohse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:23 AM

This is a great resource.  I have been writing articles on BTC quite a bit on my blog at techie.pro and wrote up a two part instructional on how to make your own P2Pool node.  What an adventure that was!  When I was first learning how to do it I ended up having to go to like a dozen websites to put all the pieces together so I decided to take all the pieces and put them together on one post.

And it is true what you guys are saying about keeping things short and simple with the option of going more technical.  I left my instructions pretty simple, intentionally formatting the article to be able to be cut and paste into a SSH session to speed up the process.  I think in my second edition of it I will put more alternative alerts and also point out where you can add more functionality and all that.

I have also found that something that makes people really excited about BitCoin is the multifunction swiss army knife-like aspects of it.  Yes it is an incredible form of currency,but it is also so much more.  The embedded functionality for Wills, escrow, timed release and things like that is mind blowing.  I would love to see some more coverage on the less obvious uses of BTC if anyone has any tidbits to share.

#8 Sebastian Lobato Genco

Sebastian Lobato Genco

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:47 PM

Thanks Jesse.
Indeed, it's very difficult to explain Bitcoin without getting lost in the technical details (and I like diving into all those details).

I also love all the new opportunities that Bitcoin and the Blockchain technology open but including those crazy (and feasible) ideas in a first Bitcoin experience will be probably overwhelming for a beginner.
Ideally, the beginner should have a simple and clear step to jump from the first Bitcoin experience to the 'super-powers' of Bitcoin, like minning, decentralized voting or trustless notary systems. If you have any idea on how to do this I would love to hear them.

By the way, I setup the translations of the website in English, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese, if anybody wants and can contribute here is the translation platform invitation:
https://crowdin.net/...-bitcoin/invite

#9 Mike Hayes

Mike Hayes

Zardoz

• Former Member
  • Pip
  • 779 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:08 AM

View PostSebastian Lobato Genco, on 11 April 2014 - 11:07 AM, said:

Thanks Sandy, I agree, sometimes it's a surprise that things work ;)

I'll take a deep look at your blog later, thanks for sharing, I already like the short/long optional answers, my suggestion would be to add images, I'm an extremely visual person so it helps me relate a lot with content when I read something, it sticks to my memory longer if I attach in my head an image to the text.

By the way, I just added a small part on mining, it's not finished, but I want to debunk the myth that Bitcoin mining is like gold mining because I really think the process is much more like a lottery (I got this from Adam B. Levine)
Just curious, are you familiar with gold mining?  It's a backbreaking business with huge costs and equipment, to process tons of earth for grams of gold.  Mining BTC may be actually like mining for gold, but not the popular misconception of gold mining....

#10 Jesse Lohse

Jesse Lohse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:19 AM

I know this is an extraordinary simplification of the actual gold mining business, but you have to appreciate the simple audience who has no clue about the specific details of mining beyond the standard guy with pick and shovel digging until he strikes it rich.  Most people in today's world don't care much beyond their perception.  Yes BTC mining is seeking "riches" like miners search for precious metals, albeit without the blood sweat and tears, but we are grasping for basic concepts for a basic populace. Sorry to be blunt, but it is what it is.

#11 Sebastian Lobato Genco

Sebastian Lobato Genco

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:45 PM

Back from holidays, you guys made me think of the gold mining concept and it's true that both industries share huge costs and the complex processes, and even more similarities, for example, the chances of finding a good spot to dig for gold is very close to finding the winner hash for the latest block with a laptop's CPU.

Nevertheless, the first basic association with gold mining in my head is the one of get rich quickly by digging early on the right spot.

The basic mining association compares poorly to the real activity of bitcoin mining as of today. In contrast, the concept of a lottery usually won by the one with more tickets and those tickets being the hardware invested, reflects better how I expect the bitcoin mining industry to work.

At the end is really a matter of taste and opinion. Eventually, newcomers that still don't understand bitcoin mining are the best to answer what is the best analogy and the easiest to relate to.