3 replies to this topic

#1 Nikos Bentenitis

Nikos Bentenitis

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:20 PM

From the three goals of the Bitcoin Foundation (standardization, protection and promotion of Bitcoin), the education committee focuses on promotion. To promote Bitcoin, the committee further focuses on two areas:

1. The production of best-practice guides that members of the general public can turn to for information about Bitcoin and its potential. The committee has already created some high-quality content, and that content will be included in the redesigned Foundation website. The committee aims to decentralize content creation, which is currently done by a small group of dedicated committee members and, towards that goal, the committee is testing systems that will allow anybody who contributes educational material to get appropriate credit for their work.

2. The establishment of relations between the Foundation and academic institutions around the world. Work has already been started in this area with several members of our committee contacting student groups and professors in various colleges and universities.

If you are interested in the work of the committee, please keep checking the forums of the Foundation, until the committee obtains a presence on the Foundation website. If you would like to contribute to the work of the committee, we would be delighted to have you. As a first step, visit http://bit.ly/BFEC-NewMembers and tell us a little bit about yourself.

I am looking forward to working with you.

Best,

Nikos Bentenitis

#2 Daniel Schott

Daniel Schott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNorth Dakota, USA

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:12 AM

Hello Nikos,

I have been provided an opportunity to lecture on digital currency at The University of North Dakota. I will also be hosting free digital currency classes within the State of North Dakota for general public understanding of digital currency. Would you recommend I discuss the educational material for this within the education committee forum or is there a better place? I will be looking for guidance and Bitcoin Foundation approved educational media.

Regards,

#3 Colin Gallagher

Colin Gallagher

Chair, Education Committee; Candidate, Individual Director

• Members
  • Pip
  • 468 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:34 PM

View PostDaniel Schott, on 07 July 2014 - 08:12 AM, said:

(...)
I have been provided an opportunity to lecture on digital currency at The University of North Dakota. I will also be hosting free digital currency classes within the State of North Dakota for general public understanding of digital currency.

Wow! ~ that's excellent, and I hope you will check out (and feel free to use the materials on) the Education Committee Github site as well as joining us on the Educational Committee.

In addition, I recommend you connect with Will Pangman and Pamela Morgan, who have developed a project for outreach to universities and other educational centers, which appears on the Committee repository.

#4 Colin Gallagher

Colin Gallagher

Chair, Education Committee; Candidate, Individual Director

• Members
  • Pip
  • 468 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:27 AM

-Colin Gallagher
(Posting here in my capacity as Chair, Education Committee, Bitcoin Foundation)

The Education Committee is now just a bit into 2015.  We've accomplished a lot. You can access much of what we've done in the Education Committee's github page, accessible to the world here.
I figured I'd post our current needs here and if you'd like to dive in and lend a helping hand with helping out (see Nikos's original post on this thread for some background on the Committee) then dive on in ~ help is alway welcome.
For example, you can contribute to the list of educational resources maintained by the Committee, no matter if you are interested in becoming a member of the Committee or not.
Or if you are interested, here's How to Join Up.

Currently ~

The Education Committee has a Secretary, but a Cover Secretary is also needed.  (The Cover Secretary would help out at times when the Secretary would be unavailable, ill, etc.)  This involves taking notes of what happens in our Google group or conference call and summarizing it into our formal minutes record area on github ~ as you can see we are serious about keeping our minutes up to date, and we'd like to do even better...it'd be nice if we could have minutes up on Github within a few days to a week of each google group collaboration or conference call happening.

Additionally:
The following open issues need attention on Github:
1) Inquiry Regarding Letter and Response  (note that a microsite for Education Committee on bitcoinfoundation.org - is having implementation worked out post-election, this has been something that has involved essentially a years' worth of effort, and with Bruce Fenton and others, we now can see a preliminary look at what this will be like here.)
2) Guide to Mining for Bitcoins

3) Revision Numbers on Guides
(If you have already helped out develop the guides, you would be excellent to help complete this task ~ go for it)
4) Improvements on How to Buy Bitcoins ~ in Italian
5) Improvements on How to Buy Bitcoins ~ in Spanish

Thanks!

By the way:

As we always have, the Education Committee invites you to join us in our expanding Social Media presence.

Twitter: @BFEduComm
Facebook: Group BFEduComm
Diaspora: Connect your pod to [email protected]

Engage further there.  If you enjoy the engagement and feel you benefit from it, please contact myself or Nikos, as it is our intent that you be able to share your ideas through this media, particularly where that has to do with bitcoin.  Please see our vision developed last year for how that social media presence might evolve.

Edited by Colin Gallagher, 30 June 2015 - 10:22 PM.