• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Koffler

Brian Koffler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:00 AM

Good morning to all - and it was nice to meet those of you who were on the Hangout last night. I had briefly mentioned the idea of putting something together in terms of an education package for educating the general public about the Foundation and what it is that we stand for. I have been thinking about this a little since the call and wanted to know what some of your thoughts are on two specific questions: 1. do you think this is something which is needed, and 2. is this really something the Education Committee should be focusing on?

The next few years are really important for Bitcoin and in order for the Foundation to really have the seat at the table in the public discourse which it deserves, ample attention needs to be paid to the perception of the Foundation and the knowledge of its members. When this effort is successful, everything else immediately becomes more powerful (i.e. the Education guides, regulatory guidance and recommendations, etc..). On the flip-side, without undertaking such an effort there are sure to be other organizations which want to be the "voice of Bitcoin" who could potentially overtake the Foundation and diminish the work you have all been doing.

I wanted to throw it out there for all to consider, and for Elizabeth to bring back to the Board to discuss. This is really a mix of PR and advocacy but having people dedicate their time to it will pay off in dividends. If this is something which some people think could make sense, I am happy to help incubate a new committee (with some help :)) to get things moving along.

Thoughts?

#2 Brian Goss

Brian Goss

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationRochester, MN

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:16 PM

I think it is a great idea.  Not sure it really falls under the education committee, but, anything can start anywhere, IMHO.  It is always easier to update and modify something than it is to start from scratch...Try putting something together that resembles the finished product (even a sketch on a napkin will do!) and put it up for comment & modification (the thread can always be moved if deemed a new committee should be formed).

#3 Sandy Ressler

Sandy Ressler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationNorth Potomac, Maryland

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:08 PM

1. Yes this is something very much needed
2. Why not here in the education committee..so yes
I also thing the timing for educating people about the foundation is very good, bitcoin is slowly getting into the mainstream (it ain't there yet!) and there will be more and more eye looking for authoritative, unbiased info. The foundation should be a good source of that type of information, including it's own role.