Elizabeth Ploshay

Secretary & Board Member/Member of Ed. Committee

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:25 AM

Team,

Just wanted to reach out to let you know of our next Ed. Committee Google Hangout.  

We will be touching base on goals for the committee and also plans moving forward and most importantly, Nikos and I will answer any questions you might have.  

Our next call will be this coming TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 12 at 10pm EST.  

Please see the google hangout link and we look forward to talking with you on Tuesday evening (wednesday morning for some!)

https://plus.google....31appo776odl354

#2 Elizabeth Ploshay

Elizabeth Ploshay

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:07 PM

REMINDER: We have a google hangout TONIGHT at 10pm EST (or tomorrow AM for some of you).

Please feel free to join in as we discuss progress of the current work we are doing and also brainstorm.  

Please see the hangout link:  

See you tonight!

#3 Elizabeth Ploshay

Elizabeth Ploshay

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:00 AM

Reminder: Hangout Tonight:

#4 Elizabeth Ploshay

Elizabeth Ploshay

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:59 PM

Team,

Just wanted to touch base with you all on our upcoming Google hangout schedule.

We will NOT have a google hangout tomorrow AM as there is much going on with hearings and pricing excitement!

We WILL have google hangouts as follows:

Tuesday, November 26 10am EST

Tuesday, December 3, 10pm EST

Please feel free to let either Nikos or myself know if you have any questions.

Keep up the great work!

Elizabeth and Nikos

#5 Elizabeth Ploshay

Elizabeth Ploshay

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:27 PM

REMINDER: We have a google hangout on Tuesday, November 26 10am EST of this week.  

Please feel free to take part and let us know if you have any questions!

You can join the hangout here:
https://plus.google....5o2g?authuser=1

#6 David R Allen

David R Allen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:10 AM

DELETED BY POSTER

#7 Elizabeth Ploshay

Elizabeth Ploshay

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:36 AM

David,
Thank you for your response.

I just wanted to direct you to frm. Committee Chair, Charles Hoskinson's differentiation between the BEP and Bitcoin Foundation Education Committee: https://bitcoinfound...tion-committee/

Certainly, we are interested in collaborating, but also would like to be mindful of the role of the Foundation and the role of the BEP. The general role of the Bitcoin Foundation is to create materials that represent a perspective from the Foundation and Bitcoin community versus Bitcoin in general. The guides that we are working on reflect that.

In terms of financial resources, we are certainly able to request a grant from the Foundation Board of Directors when we have specific expenses for projects.  We are certainly working with the resources at hand and I am more than happy to discuss further the grant process with you.

Please feel free to bring up further suggestions on Tuesday's call. We look forward to continuing to move forward as a committee.

#8 David R Allen

David R Allen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:17 PM

DELETED BY POSTER

#9 Elizabeth Ploshay

Elizabeth Ploshay

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:01 PM

REMINDER: We have our call now:
https://plus.google....5o2g?authuser=1

Thanks!

#10 David R Allen

David R Allen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:18 PM

DELETED BY POSTER

#11 Elizabeth Ploshay

Elizabeth Ploshay

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:46 PM

David,

Thank you for your email. In terms of your statement above, to be clear I am a strong proponent of decentralization and the promotion of multiple resources and viewpoints. In essence, the Bitcoin Foundation, in my view, should promote the creation of many resources and not centralize Bitcoin at all. Perhaps, I was not as clear in my statement above and I never meant to confuse.

The Foundation is certainly not trying to take Bitcoin in a different direction than the rest of the community, but to encourage larger involvement and dialogue.  The Foundation is just one of the voices in the community with diverse opinions within its board and membership. The Foundation is a microcosm of the Bitcoin community but not the sole voice of the Bitcoin community.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions and would like to discuss this via skype (elizabeth.ploshay1).

Keep up the great work!
Elizabeth

#12 David R Allen

David R Allen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:50 PM

DELETED BY POSTER

#13 Mike Hayes

Mike Hayes

Zardoz

• Former Member
  • Pip
  • 779 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:16 AM

View PostDavid Allen, on 29 November 2013 - 11:50 PM, said:

Sorry I don't get it, and I should not have said "Thanks for clarifying" because your comments are still not clear.

"The general role of the Bitcoin Foundation is to create materials that represent a perspective from the Foundation..." (That part is easy, and that is what boards are for.) "...and Bitcoin community..." This part gets a little trickier, because now you are eluding to the Foundation representing the "Bitcoin Community" which would be people... "...versus Bitcoin in general." which might be the code, or not people??? ... and then I am completely lost....
David, I have something of a 'practical suggestion' regarding input from the Bitcoin community.  They certainly do have different views, sometimes very divergent.   Some consider the Foundation "The Bad Guys".  Let us say the Foundation or this committee produces a policy or educational document.  It might just be posted to bitcointalk.org as a 'new topic'.  We could reasonably consider the ensuing posts to be input from the Bitcoin community.  As this is public, whatever differences in opinion there might be would be clear.  Posts can be self-moderated there, but for the goal expressed here one would want to leave them all in place; unless, I guess, they were simply off topic.

Yes (LOL) this might at times result in a bloodbath of criticism....nonetheless, I would consider the document, plus the comments on it on that particular forum, as being representative of the community.  Alternatively, some Reddit sub forums would work.  What I am getting at here is a published, public record and permanent record of the position paper, educational document (whatever it is)  along with the community comments.  Sometimes they might be cause for going back and revising the document, other times, not.

#14 David R Allen

David R Allen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:00 AM

DELETED BY POSTER

#15 Elizabeth Ploshay

Elizabeth Ploshay

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:40 PM

David,

Let's be sure to discuss further the difference between the BF and BEP on Tuesday Night's call.

Again: by differentiating the BF from the BEP, I intended to show you that these are two separate very purposeful entities which each can exist and thrive in this space and additionally share information between the two organizations.  Both are valuable and also both have the ability to reach out to different audiences to cover more bases. Feel free to keep asking us questions as we appreciate you starting this dialogue.

#16 David R Allen

David R Allen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:50 PM

DELETED BY POSTER

#17 Elizabeth Ploshay

Elizabeth Ploshay

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:08 PM

David,

We wish you the best and hope to work with you in the future when you are able. Thank you for the contributions you have made to the Foundation, Committee and Bitcoin Community.

Best regards,
Elizabeth and Nikos

#18 Elizabeth Ploshay

Elizabeth Ploshay

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:44 PM

Team,

We have a google hangout call TOMORROW NIGHT (December 3, 2013) at 10pm EST. Nikos and I look forward to discussing the committee agenda with you and additionally answering any questions you may have.

Here is the link to the hangout: https://plus.google....ugo4?authuser=1

Thanks!
Elizabeth

#19 Elizabeth Ploshay

Elizabeth Ploshay

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:54 AM

REMINDER: Call Tonight in 5 min!

Hope to have as many of you join as you can. I will post notes following the call.

https://plus.google....ugo4?authuser=1

#20 Sandy Ressler

Sandy Ressler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationNorth Potomac, Maryland

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:56 AM

Just saying hello and introducing myself...just joined the BF as annual member. Think I might be able to help a bit (pun intended) with some of the educational material, I thinks I knows how to writes ;-)
I'm a relative newbie with bitcoin but it seems totally fascinating from many points of view.
You can see my history (I'm mostly a computer graphics kind of person) at: http://www.sandyress...om/sandycv.html
Anyway...just saying hi for now ...Sandy