#21 Elizabeth Ploshay

Elizabeth Ploshay

Secretary & Board Member/Member of Ed. Committee

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

Thank you all who were able to participate in today's call.

Please see the minutes from our call here.

#22 Elizabeth Ploshay

Elizabeth Ploshay

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:14 AM

Great call tonight!

#23 Brian Goss

Brian Goss

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationRochester, MN

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:28 PM

View PostElizabeth Ploshay, on 26 February 2014 - 06:14 AM, said:

Great call tonight!

Ok, we've got a problem...Mike Hayes and I were both in a google hangout together with no one else...what happened? We met at https://plus.google....7p7g?authuser=1 (copied from this post: https://bitcoinfound...t__20#entry8617)

I made minutes and sent them to Mike for approval / editing.  We'll post them here.

Edited by Brian Goss, 26 February 2014 - 01:12 PM.

#24 Elizabeth Ploshay

Elizabeth Ploshay

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:53 PM

Interesting. Must have been from a previous post? We were working off the google hangout from the last calendar invite.

Next time if this happens you can Mike can ping me. Perhaps the call was also too large?

Thanks for making us aware of this. Would be great to see your minutes!

Thanks!

#25 Brian Goss

Brian Goss

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationRochester, MN

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:27 PM

Ahh...I used the post I mentioned above...maybe you posted an old link inadvertently? I was stuck installing the critical OSX update till 9:02 central...perhaps we were the last two to join and the room was full?

I got mikes edits back. I'll post tomorrow am.

#26 Elizabeth Ploshay

Elizabeth Ploshay

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:56 AM

Brian,

Thank you! Looking forward to reading the minutes!

#27 Brian Goss

Brian Goss

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationRochester, MN

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

Howdy all -- I think Mike and I were late to the party and the room was full (stupid OS X critical updates!)  Anyhow, we held a parallel discussion focusing on trustless storage and proposed making a document defining terms and showing users how to use trustless storage.

Here are our minutes:

Bitcoin Foundation Education Committee

25 February 2014 Unintentional Parallel Mini Meeting Minutes

ATTENDEES:
Mike Hayes
Brian Goss (secretary)

NOTES:
Due to technical issues (we suspect the chat room was full), the majority of the committee met outside the google hangout that Mike and I did. Meeting minutes for the main meeting have been posted here: https://docs.google....NNkBrK71e8/edit

Additionally, it is worth noting that MtGox just ceased operations earlier today. This is a big moment in early Bitcoin history with the relatively high possibility that about 3/4 million bitcoins have gone missing from their accounts; c.f. to the MyBitcoins fiasco x 10 (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/MyBitcoin). On account of this major breach of trust of the Bitcoin community, we felt it proper to discuss what we could do to quickly educate users on how to hold bitcoins securely.

MINUTES:
Mike and I talked about the need to put out a document discussing / showing users how to store their private key securely without giving others access to them.

Mike discussed some definitions (paraphrased loosely by me):
Wallet -- a document, electronic or analog, that holds private keys corresponding to Bitcoin addresses. A wallet may contain 1 or more (many more) Bitcoin addresses.

Webwallet -- a web service that holds a users private keys. Webwallets may or may not store a users private keys in a format that allows the owner of the server to access the private key while others do not.  Blockchain.info stores only an encrypted copy of a users private key and can not chose to or be compelled to produce it (not for the user and not for law enforcement/government agencies); only the user controls the decryption key and no one can issue unauthorized transactions (i.e., steal money) using Blockchain.info.

Paper wallet -- Sometimes confused with cold storage; see below. Paper wallets are paper documents containing one or more Bitcoin addresses and the corresponding private key(s). These private keys may or may not be stored electronically elsewhere -- for example, on a web wallet. It is imperative not to confuse a printed version of a web-wallet where the server administrators have access to the private keys as "cold storage." Simply printing out private keys that are accessible to someone else is not trustless storage.

Cold storage -- Analog or digital document storing private key(s) for a Bitcoin address such that the private key(s) is not and has never been stored on a networked computer, controlled or created by a third party, and no transaction spending funds from the associated Bitcoin address(es) has ever been issued (ie, the corresponding public key is not available on the blockchain). Such a system is possible for the average user to implement correctly and allows for (and is currently essentially synonymous with) trustless storage.

Hot wallet -- a wallet stored in a format intended to make spending funds in the wallet convenient. Typically such wallets are stored on a networked computer, smart phone, or on an exchange. The user may or may not be the only entity capable of spending hot wallet funds.

Bitcoin Exchange -- a webservice that offers services to convert traditional currencies to bitcions and vice versa. Currently, all Bitcoin exchanges also serve as web wallets in which the exchange has access to the users private keys. Such an arrangement allows the exchange to issue transactions involving the users funds; hence, theft or unintentional loss caused by the exchange is possible. Currently, no exchange operates in a trustless fashion. However, it is technically possible to implement trustless Bitcoin exchanges. It is expected that trustless exchanges will become available in the future.

We also discussed physically securing paper wallets, including issues regarding physical durability (heat, fire, water). Issues not discussed, but worth addressing in the future, include redundant physical backups in separate physical locations (ie, if house burns down, safety deposit box unlikely to be affected), BIP 38 password protected paper wallets, m of n private key storage/multisig transactions.

Mike defined the concept of private key "mole thieves." The idea is that a person in a trusted position inside a company could collect private keys, possibly large numbers of private keys, for future use. This person who has access to, but has not accessed, the corresponding funds becomes a liability for the fund holders, both in the sense that this person may steal the funds at a future date and in the sense that they may be compelled (by threat/use of force, fine, or imprisonment, for example) to divulge said private keys.

The core issue to be made plain is that there is no need to trust _anyone_ with your private keys -- That is, unless you want someone else to be able to spend your funds, they should have no part in the (closed-source) creation, transmission, or (unencrypted) storage of your private key. We are reminded of the recent example of a television host who inadvertently showed the private key QR code (on the paper wallet gift he was just given) on the air and had his funds taken nearly instantly.

PROPOSAL:
Create a 1-2 page guide that includes definitions, identifies services operating in a trustless capacity (we could only think of blockchain.info and bitaddress.org/variants), and show users how to use these services.

Respectfully submitted,

Brian & Mike

26 February 2014

#28 Sandy Ressler

Sandy Ressler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationNorth Potomac, Maryland

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:04 AM

Really nice start to a very useful document...also love the "unintentional parallel meeting" part ;-)
I'd suggest that you create a google doc of this and put in education committee folder

#29 Brian Goss

Brian Goss

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationRochester, MN

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:26 AM

All in due time. I find goggle docs slow and frustrating...I want the equivalent of github on my iPhone :)

#30 Elizabeth Ploshay

Elizabeth Ploshay

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:04 PM

Brian and Mike: WONDERFUL!

#31 Elizabeth Ploshay

Elizabeth Ploshay

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:09 AM

Team, please see the minutes from tonight's call.

Great meeting!

Ed. Committee Minutes: 3/11/2014, 10 PM EST

#32 Mike Hayes

Mike Hayes

Zardoz

• Former Member
  • Pip
  • 779 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:27 AM

View PostSandy Ressler, on 28 February 2014 - 02:04 AM, said:

Really nice start to a very useful document...also love the "unintentional parallel meeting" part ;-)
I'd suggest that you create a google doc of this and put in education committee folder
It occurs to me after our discussion yesterday about "video conferencing > 10 people", that there might be unintended benefits to leaving it at 10, and fractionating to 2nd and 3rd groups as might occur.

You know...the essence of decentralization....

#33 Brian Goss

Brian Goss

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationRochester, MN

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:39 AM

Good point. Our mini meeting was rather productive.

I propose any similar mini meeting have minutes and at least 1 todo item that can be done without the involvement of anyone not at the meeting (ie, keep goals short and sweet).

Not to toot my own horn...but it's kind of like a flexible subcommittee..

#34 Mike Hayes

Mike Hayes

Zardoz

• Former Member
  • Pip
  • 779 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:51 PM

View PostBrian Goss, on 14 March 2014 - 12:39 AM, said:

Good point. Our mini meeting was rather productive.

I propose any similar mini meeting have minutes and at least 1 todo item that can be done without the involvement of anyone not at the meeting (ie, keep goals short and sweet).

Not to toot my own horn...but it's kind of like a flexible subcommittee..
Dynamically fractionation and rejoining, a googie group chat would not be limited to those in the then existent fractionated group.

#35 Elizabeth Ploshay

Elizabeth Ploshay

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:55 PM

Great call this AM.

Please see the minutes here: Ed. Committee Minutes: 3/18/2014, 10 AM EST

#36 Nikos Bentenitis

Nikos Bentenitis

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:10 AM

The minutes for the March 25 meeting are posted here. The minutes can be read by everybody but only education committee members can edit them.

#37 Elizabeth Ploshay

Elizabeth Ploshay

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:15 PM

SOLID Minutes! Nice work!

#38 Nikos Bentenitis

Nikos Bentenitis

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:58 AM

The minutes for the April 1, 2014 meeting of the committee are posted here:

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

The minutes can be read by everybody but only education committee members can edit them.

Thanks

#39 Nikos Bentenitis

Nikos Bentenitis

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:44 PM

The minutes from the April 8, 2014 meeting of the education committee are posted here:

http://btcfoundation...2014-04-08.html

Committee members with Github accounts can make changes after sending their Github usernames to me or to Chris Arnesen. Everybody can read the minutes.

#40 Nikos Bentenitis

Nikos Bentenitis

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:52 PM

The committee minutes have been moved to Github and they are now accessible from the committee's website:

http://btcfoundationedcom.github.io/