28 replies to this topic

#1 Lindsay Holland

Lindsay Holland

Assistant Director

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:10 PM

Below are summaries of the Bitcoin Foundation board meeting minutes from 6 months ago and before.  Names have been redacted on vote counts and otherwise.  We will continue to release minutes on a 6 month prior basis going forward.
Attached File  BoardMeetingSummary Oct18192012.pdf   52.09K   56 downloads
Attached File  BoardMeetingSummary Nov82012.pdf   51.37K   27 downloads
Attached File  BoardMeetingSummary Dec42012.pdf   50.45K   24 downloads
Attached File  BoardMeetingSummary Dec202012.pdf   47.71K   22 downloads
Attached File  BoardMeetingSummary Jan102013.pdf   47.38K   23 downloads
Attached File  BoardMeetingSummary Jan312013.pdf   45.26K   28 downloads
Attached File  BoardMeetingSummary Feb252013.pdf   47.91K   33 downloads
Attached File  BoardMeetingSummary Mar182013.pdf   46.81K   49 downloads
Attached File  BoardMeetingSummaryApr82013.pdf   45.6K   24 downloads
Attached File  BoardMeetingSummaryApr252013.pdf   47.58K   58 downloads
Attached File  BoardMeetingSummaryJun62014.pdf   48.54K   14 downloads
Attached File  BoardMeetingSummary Jul82014.pdf   52.89K   5 downloads
Attached File  BoardMeetingSummary Aug122014.pdf   53.62K   8 downloads
Attached File  BoardMeetingSummary Sep92014.pdf   50.4K   29 downloads

#2 Christian Kammler

Christian Kammler

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:30 PM

Thank you Lindsay :-)

#3 Brian Goss

Brian Goss

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationRochester, MN

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:20 PM

Great idea. That's a lot of work. Thank you.

#4 Sturle Sunde

Sturle Sunde

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:21 AM

Why wait 6 months before releasing?

#5 Mike Gogulski

Mike Gogulski

Bitcoin launderer

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationBratislava, Slovakia

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:02 PM

Two thumbs up! Hurrah!

#6 Ron Gross

Ron Gross

• Former Member
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:16 AM

View PostSturle Sunde, on 12 October 2013 - 10:21 AM, said:

Why wait 6 months before releasing?

Why indeed?

#7 Brian Goss

Brian Goss

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationRochester, MN

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:24 PM

To decrease Monday morning quarterbacking.

Ever notice on Wikipedia articles how history topics are 90% what happened in the last 6 months and 10% what happens in the last decade? What seems important at the moment is often not so important a short time in the future.

#8 Ron Gross

Ron Gross

• Former Member
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:35 PM

For comparison, in both the Israeli Bitcoin Assocoiation and the Mastercoin Foundation, in which I'm a board member, we publish our minutes immediately after our meetings.

#9 Brian Goss

Brian Goss

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationRochester, MN

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:37 PM

Do share your experience in a year or so...this will give a few cycles of releases and experience to compare.

#10 Mike Gogulski

Mike Gogulski

Bitcoin launderer

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationBratislava, Slovakia

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:38 PM

With, erm, "all due respect", this is complete fucking bullshit.

I can conceive of only five reasons why the board can't publish the minutes of every meeting, in FAR greater detail, within 48 hours of each meeting:

1: "We are incompetent to take proper meeting minutes, redact the things and only the things which MUST be confidential, and duly and promptly publish them."

2: "We cannot afford to take proper meeting minutes, redact the things and only the things which MUST be confidential, and duly and promptly publish them."

3: "We think that we might have something to hide." (or: "We know that we have something to hide.")

4: "When we say 'transparency', what we mean is a flash of ankle, but we have HONOR! Nobody sees our privates until six months later."

5: "We're irredeemably dense people who have no business representing the interests of the vast bulk of the individual humans who have donated to us."

Exactly zero of these are acceptable.

Did I miss any?

#11 Peter Todd

Peter Todd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:16 PM

View PostRon Gross, on 26 October 2013 - 06:35 PM, said:

For comparison, in both the Israeli Bitcoin Assocoiation and the Mastercoin Foundation, in which I'm a board member, we publish our minutes immediately after our meetings.

This reminds me of the reason why I've chosen to be a year-to-year, rather than lifetime member of the foundation: my support is conditional on what the foundation is doing right now, and I reserve the right to pull that support at any time.

Six month publication delays are half-way to that "window" of support - I agree that minutes should be published within a few days. Also those minutes should always have a statement that they are complete and nothing was removed from them for legal reasons; if something does need to be withheld for later publication, then that statement can be removed.

#12 Anthony Di Iorio

Anthony Di Iorio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:11 AM

View PostPeter Todd, on 26 October 2013 - 11:16 PM, said:

This reminds me of the reason why I've chosen to be a year-to-year, rather than lifetime member of the foundation: my support is conditional on what the foundation is doing right now, and I reserve the right to pull that support at any time.

Six month publication delays are half-way to that "window" of support - I agree that minutes should be published within a few days. Also those minutes should always have a statement that they are complete and nothing was removed from them for legal reasons; if something does need to be withheld for later publication, then that statement can be removed.

+1

#13 Brian Goss

Brian Goss

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationRochester, MN

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:14 AM

View PostMike Gogulski, on 26 October 2013 - 10:38 PM, said:

With, erm, "all due respect", this is complete fucking bullshit.

I can conceive of only five reasons why the board can't publish the minutes of every meeting, in FAR greater detail, within 48 hours of each meeting:

1: "We are incompetent to take proper meeting minutes, redact the things and only the things which MUST be confidential, and duly and promptly publish them."

2: "We cannot afford to take proper meeting minutes, redact the things and only the things which MUST be confidential, and duly and promptly publish them."

3: "We think that we might have something to hide." (or: "We know that we have something to hide.")

4: "When we say 'transparency', what we mean is a flash of ankle, but we have HONOR! Nobody sees our privates until six months later."

5: "We're irredeemably dense people who have no business representing the interests of the vast bulk of the individual humans who have donated to us."

Exactly zero of these are acceptable.

Did I miss any?
Yes. "We don't want people wasting time endlessly navel gazing at unimportant issues...and having to listen to the associated pontificating and easy talk of work that no one is willing to perform..."

#14 Dan Plante

Dan Plante

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 377 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:54 AM

I took out a lifetime membership. It was partly a nod in support of the foundational ideals of Bitcoin and by extension, Satoshi's efforts (Hi Satoshi, I know you're reading this. How's it hangin?), and also to plump the pot (ie, a donation) so Gavin and the rest of the core team can feel a little more free to concentrate on the essentials without worrying where their next rent payment or Happy Meal comes from.

Yes, I get that the board has control over the pot with slight constraints from the bylaws, and I personally wouldn't shed a tear if 4 or 5 of them split and the whole concept of "business member" went the way of the dodo. Why is it that one of every two 2009-era geek-turned-Bitcoin-millionaire fancies himself as some preordained captain of industry? The pre-Bitcoin normative ratio is 1 in 500 when using their own savings. Whatever. Things develop organically. We live and learn and deal.

As for the board meeting minutes, I agree with Mike. I find the current approach more than a bit patronizing. From a practical perspective, I think the board should record the entire meeting, send the recording to those firms that transcribe court proceedings (the last time I employed one it was about $75 for 5 pages), then redact what they want but at least us payers to the Foundation get a better context of the info. And, 90% redaction says a lot even when it says nothing.

P.S. - Mike, I "liked" your post. I figured you shouldn't be the only one to like your own post even though I got a good chuckle out of that irreverent statement. Thanks :)

#15 Lorenzo Petrone

Lorenzo Petrone

Bitgoblin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationGenova, Italy

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

View PostPeter Todd, on 26 October 2013 - 11:16 PM, said:

I agree with everything here, except the "a few days".
If it was 2-3 months that would be fine to me, but 6 is really a long time, especially considering that membership is 1 year.

#16 Daniel McClure

Daniel McClure

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

Are there are any more recent minutes available or plans to release any more detailed transcriptions on the direction of the topics discussed?

#17 Gregory Sanders

Gregory Sanders

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:47 PM

First post, put in a lifetime membership so I can poke my head in and say my peace when I want. I support what the Foundation does, but I think minutes within 2-3 months is a minimum for transparency. Plenty of time for "uninteresting" things to be glossed over, but not too long to stoke fear that the Foundation is hiding things from non Foundation orgs.

#18 Dave Seyb

Dave Seyb

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Locationundisclosed

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:29 PM

The meeting should just be held on a live conference call or audio stream/pod cast just like any other normal industry association or professional business group would do. Board members are still free to have what ever small talk before and after the meeting. This is not about "navel gazing at unimportant issues" its about the organization presenting it self in a professional manor that promotes its respectability and acceptance. This then benefits us all.

#19 Sturle Sunde

Sturle Sunde

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:35 AM

Has there been any board meetings since April last year?  Meetings every 4 weeks and then no meetings until September (at least, i.e. six months) makes me wonder if something is wrong.

And I don't understand the secrecy.  Even the agenda is missing from the summaries.

#20 David R Allen

David R Allen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:17 AM

Unless I missed something we are now almost 10 months behind in the minutes of the foundation?

To paraphrase Pink Floyd  "Is there anybody out there?"

Elizabeth Ploshay? I saw you identified as Secretary for the foundation. Can you help the membership out please?