35 replies to this topic

#1 Charles Hoskinson

Charles Hoskinson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:25 PM

The purpose of this thread is for committee members to introduce themselves and discuss their areas of interest:

Charles Hoskinson

Charles Hoskinson is a Colorado based technology entrepreneur and mathematician. He attended University of Colorado, Boulder to study analytic number theory in graduate school before moving into cryptography and social network theory.
His professional experience includes work with NoSQL and Bigdata using MongoDB and Hadoop for several data mining projects involving crowd-source research and also development of web spiders. He is the author of several white papers on the design and deployment of low bandwidth prolog based semantical web scraping bots as well as analysis of metamorphic computer viruses through a case study on Zmist.

His current projects focus on evangelism and education for Bitcoin and fully homomorphic encryption schemes. He is the director of the Bitcoin Education Project and chief executive officer of Invictus Innovations Inc.

Charles enjoys fishing and chess alongside a passion for photography and education. He lives in Boulder Colorado, but often travels to more exotic locales.

#2 Todd Erickson

Todd Erickson

Member, Regulatory Affairs\Education Committee

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 270 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:04 AM

Todd Erickson

Todd is currently located in North Carolina and serves as a Senior Vice President at a Credit Union and is the President of Technology Navigator (wholly owned by credit union), which created and distributes a proprietary, in-memory, business analytics engine.

His professional experience includes senior management roles in industries such as Restaurants, Destination Resorts, County Government, Pharma and Banking. He has served on several national users groups, including SAP Crystal Reports, Citrix National Voice of the Customer, Harland Ultradata.

Personally he lives on a ranch with 11+ horses, 2+ cats, 2 corgi's and whatever wildlife presents itself. He is humbly married to a redheaded, Irish, Emergency Room Physician Assistant (her stories at the end of the day are SO much more interesting than mine). His passion for technology, philosophy and economics lead him to the Bitcoin project, where he currently spends much of his spare time...

#3 Brian Goss

Brian Goss

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationRochester, MN

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:15 PM

Hi guys, between us, here's my very informal intro:

My name is Brian and my qualifications to do just about anything are largely theoretical. I'm a science nerd at heart with deep curiosity about many things. I did a BA in math and a BS in physics and astronomy for undergrad (rochester.edu) and an MS in biomedical engineering (mayo.edu) studying magnetic resonance elastography (a few patents) for grad school. I did medical school and prelim medicine in Chicago (rush.edu) and am currently a 4th year radiology resident at a large non-profit multi-specialty private group practice with an international reputation and very aggressive policies regarding branding / identity located in south east Minnesota. I live in Rochester, MN and love where I work (but I can't say where my very short bipedal commute takes me).

I'm a hobby level computer programmer and have written code for my work as a scientist and as a physician (scutmonkey-md.sf.net) as well as small iOS apps (see sig).

I'm a father of 3 and married to a multi-talented and very supportive wife since prior to starting medical school over 8 years ago.

I'm working with the Bitcoin Education Project with an interest in crypto currency history. I've been involved with Bitcoin since July 2010, back when I could CPU mine a few blocks a night with the main client by keeping my laptop open while I slept. Boy things have changed!

#4 Nikos Bentenitis

Nikos Bentenitis

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:17 PM

Nikos is a teacher, researcher and entrepreneur who has been infected by the Bitcoin bug since 2009.

Nikos has developed his teaching skills after more than two thousand hours of educating university students of various levels of background and interest. His presentation style has been commended by his students, colleagues and most notably by Robert Curl, the 1996 Nobel Prize winner in Chemistry.

As a researcher with skills in statistical analysis, geographic information systems and computer simulations, Nikos has managed several multi-institution, multi-country collaborations, published eight peer-reviewed manuscripts, given invited talks, and reviewed textbooks and articles for research journals.

Nikos has established Eureka Science Solutions (ESS), a mobile and web app company that specializes in solutions for the transportation and petroleum industries. ESS uses modern browser technologies and tested Javascript frameworks like Sencha Touch, and Sencha ExtJS, to create front-end smartphone applications for Apple's iOS, Android and Windows 8, and cross-browser web applications and desktop software for Windows, Mac and Linux. Leveraging the power of Node.js, Meteor and Amazon Web Services, ESS creates back-end scalable network applications that interface with front-end solutions.

Nikos holds a Ph.D. in Physical Chemistry from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) and a B.S. in Chemical Engineering from the National Technical University of Athens, Greece. He has held teaching and research appointments in universities of New York, Texas, and Ecuador. He has lived and worked in seven countries (Greece, Hungary, Germany, USA, Argentina, Brazil, and Ecuador) and speaks five languages (Greek, English, German, Portuguese and Spanish.) He currently lives in Austin, Texas.

#5 David

David

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:51 PM

Hi, everyone! Thought I would take a moment to more formally introduce myself and the Bitcoin project I am working on. This is just for you all, so if anyone needs an official bio please email me and don't pull it from here! My journey has been a pretty wild ride but one I wouldn't trade for anything..

My name is David Bailey, and I recently graduated from the University of Alabama with a BA in Finance, Economics, and minors in Mandarin Chinese and Spanish (I am also about 40% done with a Masters in Finance but I decided it wasn't worth waiting another year to finish). I have been investing in equity markets for about 8 years and have done stints in a variety of buy-side investment banking jobs (I've worked summers for a Hedgefund, a VC firm, and a double-bottom line private equity and seed stage mezzanine finance firm). I became deeply fascinated with Austrian economics after loosing a small fortune in the subprime crisis and searching for answers why. I have founded two, long-only, equity funds with a combined AUM of approximately 900k and a separate fund for domestic microfinance investments with about 80k AUM. In college I founded Forza Financial, a 501c3 microfinance institution which I grew from concept into one of the leading microlenders in the country- we now have about 30 staff and I frequently speak at community development and microfinance conferences around the country. I have since stepped down as CEO and now serve as Board Chairmen, but due to my microfinance background I also serve on the advisory board for Lend for America, the leading domestic microfinance advocacy group in the USA. In Fall of 2012 I traveled to Singapore to try to convince Jim Rogers to hire me- I failed, but he connected me with a commodities trading group in Singapore that I tentatively accepted a job at. In late 2012, I became rather consumed with Bitcoin and invested a few thousand dollars, which I levered way up on Bitfinex, and got lucky on my timing. Bitcoin immediately made sense to me due to my Austrian leanings, my interest in micropayments, and my travel experience in developing countries including much of China and Cuba. With enough btc profits to retire on for several years, I decided to turn down the job offer in Singapore and go full swing into BTC.

In May I traveled to the San Jose conference to try and figure out my role in the space. After sitting in on the regulatory and VC panels I realized I didn't have the capital to launch a really ambitious project, and that I should focus on low hanging fruit that builds Bitcoin's basic infrastructure. Returning home to Alabama, I kept having the same conversation over and over with people about what I was doing in San Jose and what Bitcoin was, etc, etc.. Then I realized that what was needed was a free guide that could efficiently, succinctly, and professionally summarize that conversation. My family has been in the publication business for over 30 years and literally has millions of magazines in print. I decided the low-hanging fruit was to take my capital, tap into my family's existing publishing infrastructure, and produce a mass-produced, advertiser-supported, guide that could reach hundreds of thousands of people with each issue. Thus the idea for yBitcoin was born. We're about two months into production, and I have since traveled to all the major Bitcoin conferences (San Jose, London, and we sponsored NYC) to source our authors and advertisers; our target print date is late Oct. to be in people's mailboxes by the 1st week of November. After our first few issues, I am planning on handing the business over to my family to maintain issue to issue and will be using the proceeds to fund my next more ambitious project (which at this point I'm keeping under wraps!). As I mentioned, it's been a fairly wild ride to date- but I'm convinced the best days are ahead of us.

Cheers!

/db

#6 Todd Erickson

Todd Erickson

Member, Regulatory Affairs\Education Committee

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 270 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:59 PM

David - Welcome! Wow, quite a post for your first one... LOL

#7 David

David

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:48 PM

I'm more of a watcher than a talker, but I figured I should introduce myself before I lurk anymore... I look forward to working with the committee!

/db

#8 Robert Lefebure

Robert Lefebure

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationWinter Park, Florida

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:19 PM

Robert Lefebure's latest project revolves around a small school for special needs students in Winter Park, Florida where he serves as the Network and IT administrator and built their Linux LTSP network. He is also working on developing and launching a “blended learning” system there built around the Open Source Moodle CMS with the goal of equipping special needs students with distance learning and telecommuting skills. On the list of course material to develop is an economics course that k-12 can understand and a Bitcoin wallet for every child (a BitPiggyBank if you will).

He has a diverse background starting with education at University Of Connecticut in Animal Science, Iowa State University in Farm Operations, Beulah Heights University in Urban Ministries, and Winter Park Tech in Web Programming.

His work experience could make him a candidate for the T.V. Show “Dirty Jobs” with work in dairy farming and other agriculture, logging, arborist, home construction, roofing, remodeling, welding, heavy equipment operation and mechanics. In manufacturing he has worked in a foundry, OSB, textile and rubber facilities. Also the US Post Office and Old Sturbridge Village living history museum.

In business related fields he was in real estate with the ERA and Prudential real estate franchises as a salesperson, broker and manager.

Skilled in website design, development, PHP, MySql, Ajax, HTML, Javascript, CSS.

He has traveled to Canada, Paris, Barbados, Haiti, Jamaica, and Brazil including living in Brazil for 8 months.

He “dabbles” in French, Spanish, Portuguese and amazingly, has a few Ki Swahili phrases under his belt.

He has been a Bitcoin enthusiast since September 2012 after attending Tony Gallipi's Bitcoin Meetups in Orlando, Fl.

He operates and maintains a number of websites including BungeeBones.com ( a unique web advertising network that is Bitcoin only) and 1stBitcoinbank.com (a blog about using Bitcoin on how to be your own bank and other Bitcoin related topics).

Areas of interest: Alternative energy with dreams of building solar powered air conditioning systems

#9 Justin O'Connell

Justin O'Connell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:30 PM

Hello Everyone,

My name is Justin O'Connell and I was brought here by Charles. So, thank you Charles. I am very excited to take part in this exciting experiment with everyone and I know that we will all learn and better ourselves through our discussions and interactions. My interests are music and entertainment, and I have written a number of fiction works as well as music and I hope to catch on in music or film one day.

But, in the meantime, I wrote what one might consider a book on Bitcoin, which I have called "Bitcoinomics." Currently, it is merely 25,000 words, but I hope with all of your help and discussion on what needs to be included, we can build it out and turn it into something more.  So, I plan on being here a lot and working on finishing this thing up and making it good enough to present as a printed material.  I also am the sole proprietor at GoldSilverBitcoin.

If you are interested in helping, please feel free to read the version currently online: http://goldsilverbit...omics-the-book/

If you would like me to personally email you a InDesign or Doc version, then please email me at [email protected]

#10 Ryan Charleston

Ryan Charleston

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:36 PM

Hi everyone!

I just joined the education committee and would like to introduce myself. My name is Ryan Charleston and I am co-founder and CEO of Bitcorati.com, a premier community directory and marketing platform for the top businesses and leaders involved in Bitcoin (launching this fall). I have 15 years of experience across multiple industries specializing in areas of ad-tech, marketing strategy and analytics, research, social media, sales and web development. With an entrepreneurial spirit since age 8, I've launched three web-based businesses since 2003 and played strategic roles at several tech start-ups- all were successfully acquired.

I currently work for eBay Enterprise full-time as a marketing analyst and was previously a senior research analyst in commercial real estate for a company just acquired by Berkshire Hathaway. I also have a background in commercial architecture and interior design. During the financial meltdown of 2008/209 I realized just how broken the global monetary system was and saw the real estate bubble building up through the mounds of data I analyzed on a daily basis. This experience prepare me for the idea and movement behind Bitcoin, an interest which has evolved into a passion since September 2012.

I was originally born and raised in Southern California, and now live in Phoenix, Arizona. I have a B.A. in real estate with a certificate in Small Business and Entrepreneurship from Arizona State University. I'm a personal member and Silver Industry member of the Bitcoin Foundation, a member of the Lifeboat Foundation and an Alum Donor of the ASU Foundation.

Looking forward to connecting with everyone and making contributions inline with the committee and foundation objectives and my specific background/experience.

#11 Harsh Patel

Harsh Patel

Member, Education Committee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:14 AM

Hi everyone,

Thanx Charles for putting me on board of Education committee.

Harsh Patel is an information security professional (Associate of ISC2-CISSP, Masters in information security) based in Mumbai India. He is a member of bitcoin foundation and a passionate technologist.

He is one of the founders for Team Matrix (An information security community meant for spreading security awareness and promoting information security).  Currently he is working with Capgemini as a Information security consultant. His technical experience range from working in honeypots, web technologies, conducting Security assessments, network analysis etc.  He is also actively involved in research and his previous researches include nepenthesFE and IRONGRID encrpytion algorithm.  

His areas of Interest :-  Information Security, Cryptography, Web Technologies, Economics and cyber crime

#12 Bruno Kucinskas

Bruno Kucinskas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:37 AM

My name is Justin O'Connell Bruno Kucinskas and I was brought here by Charles. So, thank you Charles.

Hope I covered my tracks well enough so that nobody reading this is the wiser in believing that I didn't copy somebody else's intro.

#13 David R Allen

David R Allen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:41 PM

DELETED BY POSTER

#14 Elizabeth Ploshay

Elizabeth Ploshay

Secretary & Board Member/Member of Ed. Committee

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:30 PM

Hello!  My name is Elizabeth and I look forward to working with such a strong team. On October 1, I will officially assume my position on the Bitcoin Foundation Board of Directors and it is a privilege to serve on this committee as well.  

I first learned about Bitcoin in January of this year and since then have wanted to spread the word on the many benefits of Bitcoin to individuals around the world. I then chose to get involved in Bitcoin full time in April of this year to serve as Manager of Communications for Bitcoin Magazine.

Prior to joining the Bitcoin Magazine team I served as the Scheduler, Policy Assistant, and Legislative Correspondent for a US Member of Congress. I have a background in public policy, Middle Eastern politics, and grassroots activism. With a keen desire to promote decentralization and free market principles, I am fascinated with the Bitcoin currency and the multiple opportunities for this decentralized peer to peer currency to flourish on a global scale. I truly hope to work with you so we can bridge the information gap. It is clear that education is essential in taking Bitcoin to the next level.

#15 Elizabeth Ploshay

Elizabeth Ploshay

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:54 PM

Ed Committee: great to see so many introductions!  It would be great to have everyone post a brief bio here.  If you have not yet done so, please do as we want to get to know you and learn of your goals for the committee.

Thanks so much!

#16 Sebastian Lobato Genco

Sebastian Lobato Genco

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:45 PM

Hello, my name is in the post but I like friendly people to call me Sebas. I'm a Spanish developer living in Amsterdam and working in test automation for consumer GPS devices (TomTom). My passion is to learn new things, from video production to self driving cars and, of course, the craziest new technology in the world called Bitcoin.

I discovered Bitcoin in February and as soon as the technical details of the system removed all my skepticism I became addicted to it.
Although technically beautiful, what really attracts me of Bitcoin is the opportunity to improve the life of millions of people around the world (if they want to) and to build something really worth the effort not just for our current generation but for the future. My goal in life is to enjoy doing something useful.

For those interested in the more technical side these are my Linkedin and my GitHub links.

#17 Elizabeth Ploshay

Elizabeth Ploshay

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:11 PM

Welcome!

#18 Nikhil Chand

Nikhil Chand

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:30 PM

Hey Everyone!

My name is Nikhil Chand. I recently became an annual member and would like to introduce myself.

I live in Cleveland, OH, where I work as an IT Manager for the Cleveland AIDS Clinical Trials Unit. We are an HIV care and clinical trials research unit of Case Western Reserve University (CWRU). Before CWRU, I was a sysadmin at Cuyahoga Community College for 11 years, where I supported the student network infrastructure.

I was introduced to Bitcoin in 2009, and have been following it ever since. This year I finally decided to become involved, because I truly do see the practicality of the problems that peer-distributed digital currencies aim to solve. While the market value of Bitcoin is fun to watch, I am more interested and enthusiastic in its utility as a technology solution for Internet Age commerce inefficiencies. It just makes sense in so many ways, yet the tools to help mom and pop use it safely and securely just aren’t mature enough yet.

Furthermore, I see decentralized currencies like Bitcoin as holding a key to solving many global social barriers, especially in terms of income inequality and financial discrimination. I see Bitcoin as part of a larger global mechanism to help achieve universal and fair access to digital-age information and resources. I see Bitcoin as having tremendous properties to help disadvantaged populations, whether those disadvantages are regulatory, financial, social, medical, or even hereditary in nature. Heck, millions of people fall into all the above categories, through absolutely no fault of their own other than the bad luck of being born into them. If innovating Bitcoin can help remove some of the disadvantages fo these populations, then I want to be part of this innovative process.

I recently founded CoinNEO (coinneo.com). My vision is to provide cautious, sound support and information to local proprietors who want to learn more about, and possibly implement the Bitcoin payment network for their Cleveland and Northeast Ohio businesses, charities, non-profits, etc. I also want to ensure local organizations have correct information, as to avoid scammers who may try to exploit them as this technology continues to emerge into the mainstream. There is so much risk for the uninformed to simply jump in, but there are many ways to mitigate these risks yet still take advantage of the opportunities. I wish to partner with business owners who are tech-forward, open to learning about this emerging technology, and open to exploring these new risks and opportunities.

So, I look forward with working with all of you! I am interested in helping with Best Practices documentations and wherever else I can. I am sure this community will just continue to grow as time passes.

Nikhil Chand

#19 David R Allen

David R Allen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

DELETED BY POSTER

#20 Nikhil Chand

Nikhil Chand

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:47 PM

Thanks David! I appreciate the input. This is a new venture for me, the site is a bit crude yet, the content is certainly a work in progress, but it will continue to develop.