5 replies to this topic

#1 Nikos Bentenitis

Nikos Bentenitis

• Lifetime
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:46 PM

In the past few weeks, members of the education committee have created a post for the Bitcoin Foundation's blog. As the blog post is scheduled to be posted during the week of July 8, we would like to get feedback from the forum members. The draft blog post is on Github (https://github.com/b...ntralization.md) and you can make comments there. For convenience, the text of the blog post is also pasted below. Please take a look at it and post your comments.

Best,

Nikos Bentenitis
Chair, Education Committee
Bitcoin Foundation

--

Functions of the Bitcoin Foundation Education Committee

From the three goals of the Bitcoin Foundation (standardization, protection and promotion of Bitcoin), the education committee is focused on promotion. To promote Bitcoin, the committee currently focuses on producing best-practice guides that members of the general public can turn to for information about Bitcoin and its potential. In this post, we would like to share with you how the committee is creating those guides with an eye towards its decentralization and its opening to the community.
We have created a series of guides with an introduction to Bitcoin, and we provide suggestions on selecting a wallet, buying bitcoin, using bitcoin in business and the technical part of bitcoin for non-technical users. You can also see a few of ourproposals that include the committee's university relations initiative and the committee's social media presence. Those proposals are made to the Board of the Foundation from time to time. All these materials are created in an open-ended way and everybody is free to participate at any time.
The committee has been using Github.com for content hosting, content generation, task management and credit attribution. The goal is for all content created by the committee to be hosted on Github, all editing to be done there, all tasks to be public and, most importantly, membership and standing in the committee to be determined by contribution. Committee membership is not determined by a decree and nobody chooses whom to appoint in the committee. There is a chair-person, currently Nikos Bentenitis, who is pushing towards this vision and is encouraging everybody to participate. But the idea is that if this experiment in decentralized content creation succeeds, there will be no need for a chair-person. People in the committee come and go, ideas gain and lose momentum but with Github everybody's work is visible to the world.
We invite you to look at the committee's homepage, Github repository, outstanding tasks (called issues on Github), and current contributors. And we encourage you to set up a Github account and to contribute to the committee's work by updating our guides, sharing them with your network and translating them (we have done some work in Spanish and Italian but we need more languages). And finally, the committee has an expanding social media presence with members sharing the credentials of social media accounts and posting there. So, join us on Twitter at @BFEduComm, on Facebook, or connect via any Diaspora pod to ([email protected]), if you would like to learn more and get in touch.

#2 Francis Pouliot

Francis Pouliot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:22 PM

Hello Nikos,

First of all, outstanding work by the Committee! I can coordinate the translation of these guides into French.

My question: are the guides already in their final version? If not, when is the version considered "final?" (if it is ever considered final). Also, have you thought about a promotion strategy?  I can re-post the blog on the Bitcoin Foundation Canada's blog and add it to our newsletter, with your permission.

Do you have any new guides coming up that we may contribute to from the start?

#3 Brendan Johnston

Brendan Johnston

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:52 PM

The content is good, the writing style / flow could use a bit of work however. When I wake up (it's quite late) I'll submit a revision of my own, and we can see how you like it. It will still be the content you provided, in the order you wrote it in, just with some of my own tweaks that appease the English major inside me. I hope I don't offend by this post, I just feel we need to do everything possible to help persuade the general population into Bitcoin adoption.

#4 David R Allen

David R Allen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:49 PM

View PostBrendan Johnston, on 04 July 2014 - 01:52 PM, said:

The content is good, the writing style / flow could use a bit of work however. When I wake up (it's quite late) I'll submit a revision of my own, and we can see how you like it. It will still be the content you provided, in the order you wrote it in, just with some of my own tweaks that appease the English major inside me. I hope I don't offend by this post, I just feel we need to do everything possible to help persuade the general population into Bitcoin adoption.

You cannot offend this group by adding to the flow. Bring it on! And if you don't want to use Github, I am sure one of us can move your suggestions over there.

And THANK YOU.

#5 Brendan Johnston

Brendan Johnston

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:23 AM

Here is my initial draft. Feel free to proof read it and correct anything necessary. There were a couple areas I had a bit of an issue on coming up with my own interpretation, so please feel free to offer criticism.
I'm currently not on GitHub, but am signing up for an account now. I'll see what I need to do to post it there.
Edit: Idk if this link will work for everyone, but here it is: https://github.com/B...ntralization.md

Functions of the Bitcoin Foundation Education Committee

The Bitcoin Foundation's mission is to help people exchange resources and ideas more freely. We approach that mission with Bitcoin’s technology and community as our focus. We believe for the most prominent results, we must work towards three primary activities; the standardization of Bitcoin, the protection of Bitcoin, and the promotion of Bitcoin.

The Education Committee, a branch of the Bitcoin Foundation, focuses on the promotion of Bitcoin. By promoting Bitcoin, we hope to clear up any public misunderstandings, misinterpretations and misrepresentations of Bitcoin. If we want large scale adoption, Bitcoin must be unambiguous, the general public needs to be able to comprehend how Bitcoin works and how adoption can be beneficial to both themselves and others.

To promote Bitcoin, the Education Committee is currently focusing on developing and producing best-practice, or ease of use, guides that anyone interested in Bitcoin may turn to for information about Bitcoin, from obtaining your first wallet and Bitcoin, to all of the potential Bitcoin has for it's supporters and the future. In this blog post, we would like to share how the Education Committee proposes to open up the public to Bitcoin through the creation of guides.

The Education Committee has created a series of guides set to introduce Bitcoin to those looking to learn more. We provide suggestions on selecting the right wallet for you, buying and selling Bitcoin, using Bitcoin in a business environment, and information on the technical aspects of Bitcoin for the non tech-savvy. We have also listed some of our proposals for wider adoption, such as our initiative for strong relations with Universities and Educational Institutions, as well as our presence on Social Media in regards to expanding our reach as much as possible. These proposals will occasionally be shared with the Bitcoin Foundation board for further discussion and criticism. All materials are created with open-endedness in mind, so anyone can contribute in their own way.

With open-endedness in mind, the Education Committee will be making using of GitHub for creating, hosting and editing our content, managing past, current and future tasks, and attributing credit to our contributors. Our goal is for all Education Committee related content to be available to the public for their own general use, may it be purely informational or may it lead to their own contributions and changes.

Committee membership and standing are not determined by any single entity or group of people, rather it is determined by contributions and work toward the promotion of Bitcoin. Currently there is a chair person, Nikos Bentenitis, who is pushing this vision and encouraging participation, but the long term goal is to have decentralized content creation, in which no chair person is necessary. We understand people come and go, ideas can easily gain or lose interest, but by using GitHub nothing is lost, anyone is able to pick up someone elses idea and help make it a reality.

We invite you to look at the Education Committee's landing page (***Link in OP was broken***), our GitHub repository, our outstanding tasks (listed as 'Issues' on GitHub), and our current contributors. We encourage anyone interested to sign up for an account on GitHub and contribute to the Education Committee's work by updating our guides, sharing them with your networks, and helping us translate guides so we can really reach out to everyone across the globe. Finally, the Education Committee invites you to join us in our expanding social media presence.
Twitter: @BFEduComm
Facebook: Group BFEduComm
Diaspora: Connect your pod to [email protected]

#6 Colin Gallagher

Colin Gallagher

Chair, Education Committee; Candidate, Individual Director

• Members
  • Pip
  • 468 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:17 AM

Hi, Education Committee member and one of the co-authors of the blog post as shown on Github.  I'm just weighing in here to suggest that if anyone would like to contribute changes to the blog they should do it on Github and not here.  There's a process for changing it, it involves you obtain an account on Github and go through to the Education Committee repository.  Thank you.

Please also see: btcfoundationedcom.github.io and the directions for how to contact (and get involved with) the committee, at the contact link shown on btcfoundationedcom.github.io -- which takes you here.